Wednesday, June 8, 2011

MINAJ!!!!

So my favorite mainstream female artist out right now is definitely Nicki Minaj. Besides making great music she is also versatile, controversial, and hot. This adds up to a special artist. How can you not like someone who can blow your socks off with her rapping skills but still sing like an angel? How can you not like someone who is unafraid to be herself and even snap back at high profile critics (I am talking about you, Lil’ Kim). How can you not like someone who has a bomb body and can do all sorts of attractive tricks with her eyes?
It is hard to believe that Minaj has only been on the music scene for a short amount of time.  I definitely see her staying hot for a while. She has the talent, she has the image, and she definitely has the connections. Minaj is unique and can offer so many different things, all but guaranteeing  she will not wear out anytime soon. For this post I want to countdown my top ten favorite Nicki Minaj songs/collaborations. Enjoy.
10.
Song: Your Love – Nicki Minaj
Why I Like It: This song is catchy enough. It features Minaj showing off her singing and rapping skills. Maybe a bit on the repetitive side though.
Favorite Line: "Shawty imma only tell you this once, you're the illest." 
9.
Song: Moment 4 Life – Nicki Minaj f. Drake
Why I Like It: This is a good song with an “on top of the world’ type attitude. It does not get higher on my countdown though because I am not a Drake fan.
Favorite Line: "I believe that life is a prize/But to live doesn't mean you're alive."

8.
Song: Right Thru Me – Nicki Minaj
Why I Like It: I actually really like this song. I love the opening, I love the beat. There is no other song where Minaj shows off her vocal talent as much as in Right Thru Me. It is kind of a more depressing song than anything but it is not bad.
Favorite Line: “And you say no you, and I say screw you.”

7.
Song: Bedrock – Young Money (Lil Wayne, Gudda Gudda, Nicki Minaj, Drake, Tyga, Jae Millz) f. Lloyd.
Why I Like It: Despite getting overplayed, this is a great party song and really was the start of Minaj’s mainstream career. Being the only female in the song that included like 8 other people, she really stood out. Not only did she stand out, but she definitely delivered. Her famous “bestest” line is now part of pop culture.
Favorite Line: “He say ‘Nicki, don’t stop you the bestest’/And I just be coming off the top as bestest.”

6.
Song: Check It Out – Nicki Minaj and Will.I.Am
Why I Like It: Very fun song that uses samples of “Video Killed the Radio Star” in it. Minaj sings the opening and then in the middle of the song delivers a part where she half sings/half raps in what seems like a Jamaican accent. She uses a lot of non-words in it as well. It definitely works though. Be sure to watch the music video, plenty of Minaj eye fluttering in it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqky5B179nM
Favorite Line: “Man, I can’t even count all of these hundreds!!!”

5.
Song: 2012 – Jay Sean f. Nicki Minaj
Why I Like It: I love this song!! I think it kind of flew under the radar when it came out. I am a big fan of Jay Sean and it goes  without saying how much I like Minaj. Anyways, these two worked great with each other. Minaj’s rap in it is awesome. Yes, it is short, but she just comes into the song and pounds it home. The original recording of this song did not have Minaj included in it. With her part added in, it made the song 10 times better.
Favorite Line: “Uh, days of our lives/You wink it goes by.”

4.
Song: Monster – Kanye West f. Jay-Z and Nicki Minaj
Why I Like It: As we get closer to number one, the raps by Minaj keep getting more and entertaining/funny/outrageous. In this song, Minaj goes nuts after Kanye and Jay-Z have both delivered their initial contributions. It is vintage Minaj. She again uses an island type voice for her rap and goes much slower than her other work.
Favorite Line:Ok first things first I’ll eat your brains/Then I’m gonna start rocking gold teeth and fangs.”

3.
Song: Knockout - Lil Wayne f. Nicki Minaj
Why I Like It: This song as a whole has such a different sound to it. I say this in the most complimentary way. The opening absolutely rocks. I serve as the resident DJ for all Montana Grizzlies athletic events and the opening to this song is so distinguishable that I would routinely play it at football and basketball games as the teams would come back onto the field/court following a timeout. Lil Wayne does a good job with guitar and vocals and Minaj sings both the chorus to the song and has a rap sequence. She sings the chorus really slow and once she hits her rap part, she progressively gets faster, only to slow down again once for the chorus. Pretty good stuff.
Favorite Line:Baby 1-2-3/ Get the referee/ Cause he can, get the knockout.”

2.
Song: Bottoms Up – Trey Songz f. Nicki Minaj
Why I Like It: Perhaps this is the song Nicki Minaj is most known for…and it should be. She is absolutely ridiculous in this song. She goes from rapping at a 100mph pace back down to a slow pace and then right back up to a fast pace then back to a slow pace then…..well, you get the idea. There are numerous times in the song where you have absolutely no idea what she is saying but it works. Even though there are several instances where you don’t know what she is saying, there are still so many quotable lines in her rap sequence. If there is any song that can personify Nicki Minaj and all of her different personalities, it is Bottoms Up.
Favorite Line:Can I get a margarita on the r-r-r-r-r-rocks??.”  “Could I get that salt all around that rim rim rim rim?” “I don't say ‘Hi’, I say ‘Keys to the Benz. Keys to the Benz? Keys to the Benz!’”   “I’m sorry, I’m really such a lady!”

1.
Song: Where Dem Girls At? – David Guetta f. Nicki Minaj and Flo Rida
Why I Like It: And to think that Nicki Minaj almost decided to pass on this song. In a high energy, fun, addicting song, Flo Rida and Minaj provide the verses to Guetta’s beat. Minaj’s part in this song is just as ridiculous and crazy as her part in Bottoms Up but I gave Where Dem Girls At the number one spot because I think it is going to smash the success that Bottoms Up had. Yes, it will be a summer anthem. In this song, Minaj raps in a BRITISH accent. Although her part is short, it fits so well.
Favorite Line:LILLY?! LILLY?!?! LILLY?!?!?!? LILLY?!?!?!?!?!”
-------------------------------------
I can’t wait to see what Nicki Minaj comes out with next! Best advice I can give to anyone worried about missing out on Minaj’s next hit: Don’t Blink.

1 comment:

  1. Pretty good Top 10. I would put some songs in different places but overall, not bad. I like how you did your favorite line for each song though. Can I get a margarita on the r-r-r-r-rocks??

    ReplyDelete